Back to overview
Serves 10. Prep: 25 minutes + Oven time: 1 hour
- 2 onions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 kg half-and-half minced meat
- 25 ml smokey barbecue sauce
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp salt
- 30 g panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2 tsp Tabasco
- 1 cup of Beemster Medium cocktail cubes
- 300 g smoked bacon (slices)
- Baking dish (25 x 35cm, greased)
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C. Peel and chop the onions. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onion pieces for 8 minutes until they are nice and translucent.
- Put the minced meat with 100 ml barbecue sauce, the egg, salt, panko, onion and tabasco in a large bowl and knead together. Mix the cheese cubes in with the minced meat so that they are evenly distributed. Form the minced meat into an oval bread.
- Arrange the bacon in 2 rows of 9 slices side by side in the baking dish. Make sure that the slices overlap slightly in the middle so that you can wrap the minced meat with it.
- Place the meatloaf on top. Place the remaining slices of bacon lengthwise on top of the meatloaf and wrap the other bacon slices slightly at an angle over the meatloaf, so that the whole bread is wrapped.
- Bake the meatloaf in the middle of the oven for 55-60 min. Remove after 45 minutes from the oven and brush with the rest of the barbecue sauce. Bake for another 10-15 min. Take out of the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes and cool slightly before cutting the meatloaf.
Can’t find panko? You can use 2 crumbled rusks instead.